Today I’m flying low and I’m
not saying a word.
I’m letting all the voodoos of ambition sleep.
The world goes on as it must,
the bees in the garden rumbling a little,
the fish leaping, the gnats getting eaten.
And so forth.
But I’m taking the day off.
Quiet as a feather.
I hardly move though really I’m traveling
a terrific distance.
Stillness. One of the doors
into the temple.
– By Mary Oliver

I always get chills when I read Mary Oliver. Her work is beautiful and how she uses her words flow magically and touch my heart. This poem really stuck out to me. I'm pretty guilty of running at a marathon pace then crashing into bed at a million miles an overstimulated hour. Especially these last few months. Yesterday, I finally put the break on and took some time for fellowship with some dear friends and movement at a much slower pace. It was magical. We ate the tastiest Mexican food, chatted about everything, laughed and I was told or reminded that I needed to, as they put it, "get a life" and balance things out a tad more. Ouch. But gratefully appreciated.
I do believe much of that connection to people and things larger than us happen in those quiet, sometimes unsaid moments. Between conversations. In looks, walking together down the street on a crisp spring night, driving home and noticing the raging pink sunset. Amazing moments surround me always. Sharing them with others is even better.
So getting this "life" thing. Yeah, I suppose I'll keep working on that one. Don't want to miss out on any more pink sunsets, uplifting fellowship with groovy friends and mostly the calmness of my own heart when I apply this principle to my life.



No comments:
Post a Comment