― C.G. Jung

Today I read an article from Marianne Williamson regarding Easter and the resurrection. In summary, she proposed that today marks a time to look at the way people, constantly, disassemble and then rise up again through the course of their lives. The resurrection is humanity dusting off an ass kicking and plowing forward. Wiser, Stronger. With appreciation for what was learned and endured.
I'm not sure what I believe about Easter. Raised a Christian, it is still my mother's favorite holiday and I only bring this up because it has been burned into my brain. I can relate ad nauseum the story of the crucifixion. It's insanely violent, and as a kid I found it hard to believe. Things just didn't add up and while the whole idea was inspiring, it was so out there that it was hard, in the end to really believe it happened. Something a little more realistic would have lured me in. Keeping some of the mystical but toning it down a notch. Maybe something like Jesus died and three days later another tablet of commandments he penned was found that was even more inspiring and wonderful than the first ten. So with new found knowledge, the disciples are elated, invigorated and renewed. Heading out to preach the gospel with fire in their bellies and flames of faith pouring from their lips. I don't know. More or less something like that.
I'm not trying to sound cynical or put down anyone's faith. Personally, I believe it all comes down to the same thing and different religious or spiritual pathways speak to the beautiful diversity of people. We are not all going to comprehend God or the Universe the same way or at all even. I'm down with Jesus. He is one of my heroes in faith and love. The grace he poured out to everyone humbles me. Everyone, absolutely everyone was loved.
And after thinking about it some more. Easter comes down to a day where I just take time to appreciate what God is to me. Which is love. Loving and caring for each other. Not being an asshole. The Golden Rule. Taking time to help out people that have less that me. Showing gratitude. All parts of God. All and all just love.
Happy Easter! Love the ones your with!



No comments:
Post a Comment