Tuesday, April 7, 2015
{Expressions of the Soul}
“I tell you this
to break your heart,
by which I mean only
that it break open and never close again
to the rest of the world.”
― Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2
Lately, I've been thinking of how to merge all the best parts of my work life into one perfect career. Because Perfection exist right (eye roll). I say this tongue and cheek but I do believe that their is a calling for each one of us. I saw a cute and overly simple venn diagram that indicated true vocation was where what you love, what you do well, what the world needs and what people will pay intersect. This Pinterest pin has really set off a chain reaction of introspection, investigation and action (another ven diagram!). It's been fun to look at patterns and ways different job duties over the years could merge and create different work, different pathways. For instance how about a funeral home assistant? Noooo....too much...what's the word...Death. And death to me, most days, is overwhelming and freaks me out. But I did a lot of counseling with people who came into the flower shop to order funeral work for the deceased. I enjoyed that part of my job immensely. Helping people and listening. Using flowers to help ease the pain of death. Lot's of reflective listening and unconditional positive regard. My point in all of this is, it was an job concoction that I never thought would appear in my life. As in, NEVER EVER...whew!
So I'm investigating art therapy right now and I love it. I haven't been excited about something in all my life with the exception of photography. In hindsight, I realized that during my time as a school counselor I used play and art to connect with students most often as early teen hood does not an articulate student make. However, open a game of Jenga or pull out the paint and play dough and a once muted 12 year old boy (yes a boy!) becomes chatterbox station. It really is a fascinating, growing field. Most important, I notice too in the last few years, as I transition from the period of the divorce and some challenging health issues that it has been art, poetry, movement helping me heal. And thank god for that....Feel like crying, make art. Going to court, make art. Complete existential crisis...oh yes, lots of art. (I can't take credit for that last thoughts, I saw it it from an inspiring artist on Facebook, different examples...same point) Lots of intersecting going on here. Expressive Art Therapy would be it's formal name and it a growing, well researched field. So let's jaunt down that pathway and see where it goes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment