FOR BOOKINGS EMAIL

CORDESPHOTO@GMAIL.COM


Wednesday, August 30, 2017

{Boats and New Yorkers}

“Everybody ought to have a Lower East Side in their life.” —Irving Berlin
I certainly have no clever title here or much tie into the picture, however, I did want to take sometime to reflect on Florida and it's New Yorkers. And it's boats. Which seem to have sort of correlation I haven't figured out just yet. Having in my 42 years lived in most parts of the country, which I feel extremely blessed, I've been able to take in its diverse culture. Florida is a hodgepodge and I love it. There is a lot to take in, observe and learn. Most especially the Haitian culture which is prevalent here much like the Somalian and Hmong immigrants in St. Paul. I know nothing about this country and it's a shame and a homework assignment for plain cultural awareness and also being able to understand the students I work with better.

 I do however, know New Yorkers. And oh how I have missed these people. It seems that Florida is where they flock when, like me, the cold becomes what they say...bullshit. Or they come to get and/or stay sober. Also like me. There is an amazing recovery community here which, for me,  is imperative in living a happy, joyous and free life.

You always know where you stand, literally or figuratively with a New Yorker. There is no end of conversation or run on sentences. They could be talking about finding a primer parking spot at Five Guys Burger and it become a 15 minute story that inevitably ends no where I expected. But I dig it so most of the time I listen and walk away dizzy with what my friends in Minnesota would call TMI. I digress, it's a lot like listening to David Sedaris who is one of my favorite writers that frequently reads his work on NPR. It's also random yet not random so unless I tired and hungry, it's fine by me. I would also say it reminds me a Neil Simon play too. Which I grew up watching, when I was young and would head to New York for a visit with my dad. To this day a favorite memory. Good ole childhood nostalgia.

After our conversations I usually am invited on their boat. Even if I just met them say right before a meeting or at work. To me this seems rather intimate. Being stuck in the middle of the ocean with a stranger but after getting used to the invitation, I realize it's just life in the city tropical style. A difference is comfort zones and definition of family. That's cool. Thus far, I've only taken one trip out on a boat for deep sea fishing. A first. It was awesome til it wasn't because of how rough the waters were and how much I wanted to projectile vomit everywhere. I'm sure I'll have more to write as the days pass....right now I'm hungry, tired which makes me cranky as a New York taxi driver stuck in traffic on the Lower East Side:)

No comments: