FOR BOOKINGS EMAIL

CORDESPHOTO@GMAIL.COM


Wednesday, May 27, 2009

There are still so many places on our planet that remain unexplored. I'd love to one day peel back the mystery and understand them- Annie Leibovitz

As a visual person, I was able to understand the fundamentals of photography with the introduction of the digital camera. I learned how to read histograms and move from Auto, to AV mode to full manual. The exposure triangle, light, shadows and contrast all came together and made more sense to my photographic visual brain. I'm still learning and I love it.

But, being me, I am restless and there is still something beautiful about film that hasn't yet been mastered by digital. When I explore the works of great photography masters (then and now) I am in awe of their skill, vision, practice and patience. There ability to find the light makes me drool. Their mastery at film metering leaves me awestruck. How. I have to know.

As artists there is a need to create and re-invent. We continually push ourselves past the limits and look for the next project or goal that makes our stomach turn (in a drop off a really high roller coaster way) and throats tighten. It's the air we breathe. For me, this new adventure takes me to a different place, a foreign land, a bigger bite out of my pocket book. Film.... In manual. { insert dramatic pause here}

I am working backwards, I'm slowly building my collection of film cameras and film (woo wheee is it expensive thank you very much). It's taught me to slow it down, really study the light, the subject and then shoot...preciously mind you as it is expensive. Did I mention that.

I cannot even begin to tell you the excitement of taking a roll of film from a 35mm and waiting to see what comes back (fyi...it's not pretty for me right now). In this case, with my new toy (thank you ebay for feeding the addiction) it was about 75 seconds.

Introducing my new toy and my first shot. Interpret it how you will, 3Dish or maybe bad focus...I'll let you decide since. After all, isn't the beauty of art found in what you view with your own lens, speed and imagination.



No comments: